|Photo by SteriPEN|
A few disadvantages of filters which might not be obvious:
- They weigh more than specified because they retain water.
- They can stop filtering and allow pathogens to pass through without any indication of failure. This could occur due to a drop or freezing.
- They can clog. Most can be flushed, but that requires clean water.
Other advantages of using a Steripen I like:
- No change in taste like when using purification chemicals.
- Works on protozoa, which chemicals struggle with.
- Works on viruses, which few filters effectively remove.